St. Ben’s is a ministry here at OLOL where a group of people volunteer every 2nd Wednesday of each month to prepare, transport, and serve a meal to the poor, and to the homeless. We serve this meal at St. Benedict the Moor Church in our central city. (10th and State)
Volunteers are welcomed in all areas.
- Monetary donations are needed to purchase the chicken we serve each month. Consider helping us with this expense on a regular basis or by making a one-time donation.
- Donations of Hard Boiled Eggs, Bakery, and Cut Vegetables are always needed and appreciated and can be brought to the Church Office on Mon-Tues and no later than Wednesday at 3:00 pm.
- Help in food preparations on the Wednesday morning of our serving day is another way to get involved. We start at 8:00 am. Our duties include:
- Cleaning chicken
- Cutting and buttering bread
- Making gravy
- Packing bakery
- Preparing and baking chicken
- Washing dishes
- Help to actually serve the food at St. Benedict the Moor. This is an eye-opening experience and very rewarding. If you don’t want to drive yourself, we usually car pool. We leave OLOL between 3:30-3:45 pm. We gather in or outside the kitchen.
- We especially need people who would be willing to make 25 pieces of chicken in their home. Baked, roasted, grilled, fried, whatever your specialty is. We provide and prepare a tray of raw chicken pieces for you to pick up from the church kitchen refrigerator on Monday or Tuesday of that week. It is all counted out and has a sticker with your name on it. You pick it up, take it home, prepare the chicken and then return it to the same church kitchen refrigerator no later than 3:00 pm, Wednesday afternoon, so we can load it up and take it down to St. Ben’s. We call as many as 6 people each month. Your name will be put on a list so you could be called whenever needed. We certainly understand that things come up that might prevent you from taking on this job for any given month; we just call the next person on the list. However, if you tell us you’d like to make chicken every month, you’ll get a gold crown in heaven!!! We actually do have some very dedicated people who do it every month–GOD BLESS THEM!
And, may GOD Bless you with a spirit of good will, and may HE make YOU and your service a gift to the poor and the homeless.
Thank you for considering this great Ministry.
Tom and Ann Runnells…………………………………….. (414) 482-0934