Typically, we prepare children for the Sacrament of Reconciliation in conjunction with preparation for the Sacrament of Eucharist in the second grade.
The preparing of children & parents for the Sacraments of Reconciliation & First Eucharist is a special opportunity for families to develop a deeper relationship with their faith and the community of OLOL. The Sacrament Prep process requires that parents and children discuss what they believe, and work together to learn what it means to receive and be part of the Body of Christ. In learning about the faith and getting ready for these sacraments, the children and their families are exposed to numerous members of our parish community, as well as given an opportunity to live their faith outside of OLOL by preparing and serving a meal for people who are homeless.
Sacrament Preparation Responsibilities
- Sessions take place on Sunday mornings from 9:00 am – 10:15 am (except retreat days).
- We ask that both parents (if possible) attend with your child.
- You will be with your child the entire time except for the first orientation session.
- A light continental style breakfast will be provided at each session.
- Child care can be provided with prior notice.
- Children and parents also need to be enrolled in GIFT, our primary religious formation program.
- There is a service requirement of preparing and serving a meal at the Cathedral Center
The reception of these two sacraments is a special step deeper into the Flock of our Lord. We hope that this journey through the sacramental experiences will bear fruit for the faith life of your entire household.
Things to do together to prepare for these sacraments
- Come to Mass as a family each week.
- Your child will receive a prayer book. Spend some time learning & praying the prayers together.
- Encourage your child to bring the prayer book to Mass each week so he/she can follow along & learn about the Mass.
- Read the Gospel with your child each week.
- Talk about the readings on your way home from Mass each week.
- Practice forgiveness with each other.
- Recognize and compliment your child for the good deeds he/she does for others.
- Eat a special meal together each week.
- Enroll in & attend all GIFT sessions.
- Bless each other at the end of each day.