Why are we hosting an expo on funerals and end of life issues?
An interesting statistic tells us that, the American culture now spends as much, if not more, on Halloween decorations as we do on Christmas décor. As a culture, we also seem to be quite taken with movies, books and TV shows that focus on vampires, zombies, and other worldly creatures. Contrast these observations from the obituaries that fewer and fewer funerals take place in a Church, and that visitations are open for an hour or less in many situations. It’s as though we want to avoid death and face it at the same time! Death is clearly a part of life—we all will die someday. Let’s do this with integrity, with time to reflect, to grieve, and to pray.
In that spirit, we invite you to Fare Thee Well — an open house format to visit with the services involved with end-of-life issues:
Saturday, October 29, from 9:00 am – noon, in the Parish Hall
Which resources will be available at this event?
- Meet representatives from these funeral homes:
- Pick up resources for various bereavement support groups
- Talk to people who can help you to understand the importance of power of attorney and living wills
- Pick up information to guide you in legal decisions
- Discuss financial questions on bequests and pre-payment of funerals
- Plan your funeral liturgy with staff members from Our Lady of Lourdes and St. Gregory the Great parishes
- Learn about hospice
- Gather information about post funeral hospitality options
- Ask questions about Catholic funeral rites and stances
Additionally, learn more about interring cremains and Catholic Cemeteries
For more information, contact Nancie Chmielewski